Sunday 14 November 2010

13/11/2010 - Tinto Hill Race

November means time for Tinto. This was the second time I have done Tinto and my 3rd hill race. Compared to last year I was so much more prepared going into this years race. Last year I did half of Tinto, then Conic Hill. In the last few months, I have had runs in the Pentlands, 2 x Kilpatrick hills, Cairn Table and Tinto. So I was going in with a lot more confidence than last year and thought that I should be able to break 50 minutes.

I met up 6 other members of my club in Clarkston and we drove down together to Symington. We picked up our numbers and headed for the start. We had plenty of time to kill. So we took a walk up the first mile of the race reaching just before the route goes off a bit steeper up to the right. We also took a look at the fence which is maybe quarter of a mile to half a mile into the race. The fence does have a gate, but with 250 people trying to get through it, the fence becomes the way a lot of people get over the obstacle. We noticed to the left, the fence is pretty high and then to the right you could step over it. So battle plan made was to head right. We jogged back to the start and by the time we got changed and headed back to the start we were ready to go. Gary moved towards the front while the rest of us were right in the middle of the pack. Even though the first mile is gradual ascent, it is so important not to go off too quickly as hills really will take it out of you.

So off we went and I settled into a good pace. My tactic of going to the right and stepping over the fence paid off as I got straight over with no delay. It was a lot muddier this year with pretty big puddles on the lower gradual paths. I decided to not waist time looking for routes to avoid them and just go straight through them. Plus its always better and more fun to get muddy! I ran pretty steady all the way to the foot of the first steep section. Where it was hands on knees. The next stretch goes off to the right and its hard to get in a rhythm as it goes steep then gradual, steep then gradual. So you are walk then run.  I was overtaking quite a few people along this stretch until the route turns left straight up a steep section which is where I seemed to be not overtaking and not being overtaken. Then the path splits and we go right to a section which I call the bridge as it unites the last steep bit with the final ascent to the top and most of it is runable. I was really feeling it in my calfs at this point but it was just a case of gritting my teeth and getting through it. Last year this is where the first guy flashed by me. This year Jethro Lennox who went on to win, flew past when I was just going up the first bit of the last ascent. This is when I realised I was doing pretty well and pushed on to the summit. There was a guy in front of my shouting encouragement to the people going down, he must have name checked everyone in the top 20! I recognise a few of the big guns but was impressed by his knowledge of all these hill runners. Just as I approached the cairn a guy was shouting out positions, I didn't quite make it out but it was something 9, I think either 79 or 89 and there were definitely not 3 numbers involved. I made it to the top in pretty much bang on 30 minutes.

I couldn't believe it, I knew even if I had a good descent I would get overtaken as I felt like I had really punched above my weight on the ascent.  It took the first downhill for me to get into it, as I was still recovering from the ascent. Then where the two paths come together I took a slightly higher line, and I was so  wanting to be on the lower line, and had a few tricky bits to deal with which slowed me down as I thought too much about it. Then although I was getting overtaken pretty regularly, I found a good stride along the bridge and then down the next steep ascent. Where the diagonal ascent was, there were a few bits where I put on the breaks, and in hindsight and don't think I needed to, but generally again I was running well. When I got to the gradual descent for the last mile, I knew I was almost home and was a lot more comfortable running through the bogs and the gradual ascent. I managed to hold my position and then overtook 2 people. I stopped my watch at 45.04 and tried to stop but momentum nearly took me into one of the volunteers as it was still a gradual slope. I was absolutely delighted! I had beaten last years time by over 7 minutes!  Afterwards I caught up with how everyone got on, and found out all my fellow club members had got under 50 minutes, so a good day all round. I checked my time on the website this morning and according to that I did 44.53! I must have stopped the watch after the finish line or something.

I realise my descending is still not quite there yet. But looking at the big picture, I'm still a relative rookie in hill running and descending does come from experience (well in my case anyway!). I must have lost 20-30 places on the descent but it really shows how good an ascent I had too! Also because of the way hill racing works, you just don't know how many people you were holding off on the descent, as if you do look behind you, you are going to end up flat on your face. Overall this is by far my best ascent and descent yet and I ended up finishing 118th which is the first time I have finished in the top half of a hill race.

2 comments:

Debs M-C said...

Crackin' time. I did Tinto last year and loved it.

Stuart said...

Thanks Debbie! Well chuffed with it and agree it's a great race!