Sunday 14 November 2010

Tinto - the before and after

This week saw another week off work. This one was a bit more relaxing compared to my week off in September, but made sure I had some fun adventures nevertheless. The main reason for having a chill week was yesterday was Tinto Hill race, so I wanted to make sure I was rested up and raring to go for my race for November.

On Monday, my legs had recovered really well from the West Highland Way on the Sunday. So I went out an a comfy 4.5 mile easy run.

Tuesday I went to the Kilpatrick hills in what was a perfect day, cold and no clouds. I have decided that the road going up to Loch Humphrarys is my favourite hill just now. The reason being is that it is so long at 1.6 miles. It starts off on tarmac then gradually/ diagnonally makes its way up and then round. About half way it turns in to a forest track, where it gets a wee bit steeper, then just as it turns up and has a steep ascent to finish. Each time I have attempted this so far I have had to walk the steep bit. But thats what I like about this - it is a work in progress. One of the things I have decided to do is have a PB for this ascent, as this is what Anton Krupicka does for his ascents up Green Mountain. Often people think of PBs just for races, but I like the idea of having a PB for certain stretches of training runs like this. So my PB is set at 19.25.

The next section I can usually run all of, around loch Humpharys till the forest track runs out. But today I struggled and found myself run walking until the downhill stretch. I then followed the Kilpatrick hill race route round and down to the reservoir. This bit was fun as it was really boggy and the burn is getting wider. I think soon I'll have to jump in and out its getting so wide.  Then up the slacks I seemed to be getting a second wind and was run, walking quite strongly up it. From the trig point to the bottom I've also decided to have a pb so that is 16.11. I went way faster than this in the actual race but never set a split so this is the official PB for that stretch. Going down was fun and lots of boggy bits so got nice and muddy.

On Wednesday again I was surprised by how quickly I recovered from running on the hills the previous day. I fancied something a bit different today so I cycled down to Pollock Park and did the mountain bike loop which was fun. Then I chained up my bike and ran round some of the trails in the park. The thing was with all the leaves, some of the trails you could not make out so it was a case of making my own route. Afterwards since it was quiet, I ran round the mountain bike track, then cycled home.

On Thursday I decided to go to the club. I had intended to turn up, say hi, then do the handicap route by myself. But the weather was so wild that the D and E group said they were going to do the handicap. So I started out with them and then I found out the B and C groups were not doing mile reps anymore but doing 0.7 reps round Newlands park so I thought I'd do that instead and just take it easy. So I just hung on to the back of the C group running between 7.12 and 7.30 pace for 4 reps.

Friday I just did 3 miles and had plenty of carbs.

Saturday, I went down to park run and did the timer which I believe was another perfect game! Number of clicks on the timer equaled, number of tokens given out and never went out of sequence. I got home to find an email saying that I have won the Sweatshop Parkrun monthly prize! Which means a new pair of trainers fitted at sweatshop! I was delighted and still can't believe it!  To top it off I headed to Tinto hill race in the afternoon but that deserves its own post.

Sunday, my legs were pretty sore but not as sore as I thought they would be. I did my 3 miles and that was that.

No comments: