Wednesday 29 June 2016

Steps Challenge Week 5

Day 29:  Working from home today and decided to do the opposite of what I did on Monday. So I did a 3 mile run at lunchtime then a 2 mile walk at night. The 3 mile run was again really good. Thing is though I think 3 miles is the max I could do at lunchtime unless I was to go over the hour and work more in either the evening or the morning. So I think going out after work is the better option.  11,140 steps.

Day 30:  Today was my first PB attempt day.  During the day I racked up a lot of steps because I was in the office but I think I was still tired from yesterday's run so decided to give running a miss. 14,429 steps.

Day 31: Easy day today as I get rested up for the weekend. 13,801 steps.

Day 32:  My second attempt at a PB today.  I woke up feeling sluggish and my legs were feeling tired. But dragged myself out of bed and headed for Pollok parkrun. I parked outside the park and jogged in and lowered my expectations of a fast run today and hoped just to get under 30 minutes.  When we got on our way I settled into a good relaxed pace.  Had a chat with one of my parkrun buddies Alan for a bit after the first km, then when we got to the glade which is the start of the 3rd km, he picked up the pace up the hill.  I was quite happy with how fast I was going. When I got to the first lap/second lap split it was good to get shouts from Ian and Richard.  I was feeling good at this point and started picking off people on the second lap. As I went up the glade for the second time I saw Pamela in the distance. I was thinking I must be doing well as she normally runs 26/27 minutes for the 5k. I kept picking off people and on the last downhill to the finish I managed to catch and pass her. Turns out we were both running well and I finished in a seasons course best of 27.28. Delighted with that and even more happy that I think I could have gone faster.

But that made up only 7000 steps. To get a steps PB I still needed to do another 11,000!  So I opted for a 6 mile plus walk round the southside, stopping off at subway for lunch.  Ended up absolutely smashing my PB by over 4000 steps. 22,164 steps.

Day 33: Recovery day today. Took a different route on my walk but reckon it was just over 5 miles. 12,545 steps.

Day 34: Working from home today and decided in order to make myself try a longer run at night I would just do short walks throughout the day.  I was going for 4 1/2 miles and looking back I haven't actually ran that far since the first few days of this challenge barring the Killearn 10k. And they were run/walks. So I had it in my mind that I would just take it easy.  But I ended up giving it a pretty good effort, running all the way round and almost getting a stitch on the final stretch home. Overall a pretty pleasing run. 11,172 steps.

Day 35:  Rest day today so all walking. 13,408 steps.

Here are the stats for week 4:

My average steps for week 5: 14,094
My overall average: 12, 846


My team's average steps overall: 14,194
My team's ranking in our department mini league after week 5: 3rd out of 8 - Same as last week
My team's ranking across all companies competing in GCC after week 5: 6,898 out of 48,444 -  Down by 1427 places on last week

So overall a very good week with easily my highest step count including 3 very good runs.

No comments: