Friday 8 July 2016

Steps Challenge Week 6

Day 36: Working from home so I did a run after work. Included an extra hill so it was 4.7 miles in total. Unlike the last time I did this route I did manage to take it easier for the first few miles. But then ended up speeding up for the last 2. Which is bound to happen as they are predominantly downhill miles. 10,864 steps.

Day 37:  Wanted to get out running today, but everything I should have learnt last week about diet I did not apply today!  Got up too late to have breakfast. Then was going to get my mid morning/afternoon snacks which are bananas. Only to find I had no money on me so just left it.  Got home and was just absolutely exhausted. So 13,473 steps all walking.

Day 38: My usual Friday, easy day - 13,000 steps exactly.

Day 39: My first visit to Drumchapel parkrun today. Its a 3 lap course with 2 main hills to contend with on each lap.  By the third lap I was pretty much crawling up them!  I would call it shuffling but definitely not walking!  It is a tough course but I like it.  The path is generally the width of your average pavement all the way round.  So it doesn't really have the capacity to become a big parkrun in terms of numbers but that doesn't really matter as long as not too many people turn up. I wore my new trail shoes today which I didn't really notice - which is a good thing!  Even with throwing in some more hills into my training runs it didn't really prepare me for this but hopefully next time I have a go at this parkrun I'll feel stronger up the hills and recover better on the downhills. Still managed a sub 30 mins again so all good. 12,882 steps.

Day 40: Sore legs after yesterday's run but I was going on holiday in the afternoon so needed to get the steps in early. Thought I might as well try a run and just see how it goes. Worst that could happen is I end up walking!  I took it very easy and managed 3 miles then had 2 short walk breaks in the next 2 miles. So 5 miles and 10,000 steps done before 10 am. :-)  12,397 all together for the day as the folks and I headed for just south of Birmingham.

Day 41:  Travelled between Birmingham and Paignton which was to be our home for the week.  In between we visited relatives in Bristol and went to Cheddar Gorge for lunch and a nice stretch of the legs.  When we got to Paignton we went for a nice walk along the sea front both before and after dinner.  I did have concerns about reaching 10,000 steps on holiday, especially on the travelling days but had no problems at all. 12,725 steps today.

Day 42: Lots of exercise today. Went to Babbacombe model village in the morning which is an amazing place. So well done. Then a walk round Exeter in the afternoon.  When we got back to the hotel which was on the sea front I had time to go out for a run before tea.  Route choice was actually decided the moment I entered the town.  The road which goes into Paignton starts off really high up before having a long and at times steep descent towards the sea front.  So my plan was to see just how far I could run up it. The answer? Well after 3/4 of a mile of relentless uphill I had to take a walking break.  About a minute later the hill levels out a bit to a more gradual ascent but I was done in by then. So decided to run/walk up to 1 and 1/2 miles then turn back giving me 3 miles. I flew back down. It was a lot of fun. Then after tea went for a nice walk along the sea front again.  Second best steps day so far with 20,625. A very good day!

Now I would normally do stats now but as I was away I didn't take the stats on Wednesday.  To summarise personally I had a very good week averaging 13,708 steps. My team is really starting to slip down the rankings sitting at 9000 + place at the moment.  Some have not updated for a while but it seems as well like other teams are gradually doing more too.  I'll try to resume usual order next week.

No comments: