Wednesday 10 August 2016

Steps Challenge Week 11

Day 71: Today felt like a very long day. I was just feeling very tired and not sure why.  Just walking again but will try a run tomorrow. 12,868 steps.

Day 72: Still tired so no running. Think its because I am in the office all the time at the moment which means long days. Its going to be like that for the next few weeks but will hopefully be working from home again more after that. 13,427 steps.

Day 73: Its Friday thank goodness. Hopefully some parkrun magic will manifest itself tomorrow. 13,232 steps.

Day 74: Well the parkrun magic did not show up. I turned up at Pollok and had some stomach issues. Unfortunately the facilities at Pollok don't open until 10am so would mean either having a very uncomfortable run or head home, then go out for a run.  Easy choice really, I chose the latter.  Once out I just did a very easy 3 miles which took about 30 minutes. I say just 3 miles but this was my best run in a while after a few false starts the past couple of weeks.  In the afternoon I went to the Dundonald highland games with the family and met up with relative Liam and his girlfriend Ava who were over from Canada. Liam was over with his pipeband and was competing. He is also taking part in the World pipeband champs next weekend in Glasgow so this was a good warm up gig for him.  Needless to say this was also good for my step count. 11,635 steps for the day.

Day 75: Three quarters of the way there! On my feet all day so you would expect to see a record number of steps. But no most of it was standing about watching very fast cars. It was great.  Went to the ignition festival of motoring in Glasgow which totally took over the SECC.  Always stuff happening and the showroom was huge.  10,970 steps.

Day 76: Just in the office day and all walking. 13,209 steps.

Day 77: Same as yesterday. 13,216 steps. But this was a landmark day as I broke the 1,000,000 steps mark for the challenge! This means that even if I do nothing for the next 23 days I will have averaged 10,000 steps a day for 100 days. Of course the plan is to do over 10,000 steps a day for the 100 days so I'll keep plugging away.

Here are the stats for the week:

My average steps for week 11: 12,651
My overall average: 13,031


My team's average steps overall: 13,515
My team's ranking in our department mini league after week 11: 4th out of 8 - same as last week
My team's ranking across all companies competing in GCC after week 11: 9106 out of 48,444 -  Up 1,970  places on last week.

Most people entered there steps up to this week hence the wee boost up the rankings.   

It wasn't a good week running wise but still getting the 10k minimum and nice to hit a few landmarks - 75% of the challenge complete and 1 million steps.  It has got me thinking about what I am going to do once this has finished. Should I keep with doing the 10k steps a day? Should I stop, baring in mind that if I replace it with running I can do less steps?  I think what I have learned from this is that you need to do something each day. But at the same time I can't do everything.

No comments: