Wednesday 17 August 2016

Steps Challenge Week 12

Day 78, 79, 80: Another few days in the office, so all walking. 13,528 steps, then 13,482 steps, then 13,262 steps.

Day 81:   No parkrun today. Didn't even plan to go. Thought a nice lie in then a longer run would be better, but got up then just didn't feel like running so just went for a walk.  I hit such a good rhythm with running the past 3 months and its a shame that I have lost that.  As well as being in the office all the time for the last few weeks, one of the reasons is probably that I don't really have any goal races at the moment. I say "lost that" but i suppose to put it in perspective last year I was running once a week for many months which is what I am doing with my "bad patch" this time.  10,887 steps.

Day 82: Got out for a run today, felt totally up for it. Fresh legs and raring to go. When I got out it was a different story. My legs felt fine but after the first mile I really was struggling with the heat. It wasn't sunny but very muggy. I did think at parts that maybe I was ill but afterwards I was fine so must have been the temperature.  I'm glad I managed to keep going all the way round though and get the 4 1/2 miles in.  It was actually the same route I walked yesterday but this time it tallied up to 8000 steps compared to yesterdays 10,000. Meaning I would need to go out later and do another 2000.   Thing is, once I got home from having dinner at my parents, I managed to totally forget until I settled on the sofa for the night to watch the Olympics. I had an "Aw naw" moment when I realised I still had to do another 2000 steps!  So it was out and round my estate 3 times to make up the difference. 10,328 steps.

Days 83, 84:  Back to the office so 13,000 then 12,887 steps all walking.

Here are the stats for the week:

My average steps for week 12: 12,482
My overall average: 12,985


My team's average steps overall: 13,524
My team's ranking in our department mini league after week 12: 4th out of 8 - same as last week
My team's ranking across all companies competing in GCC after week 12: 9,248 out of 48,444 -  Down 142 places on last week.

So only the one run this week but at least with all this walking you can't say I'm being lazy!  I've been thinking more about what lays ahead after the challenge and I'm considering getting the later train and not walking to and from the office, so I've got more energy to go out running after work.  Clearly working from home days I have been fine going out those days. But when I'm in the office I get 6,000 steps without the walk to and from the station so will probably end up getting the bus again.  I won't be focusing on getting 10,000 steps in, as long as I do something everyday.

As for future goals I'm still thinking about it all the time, especially goal races for next year.  Some may depend on whether I can get in and whether I get my fitness up more for the rest of this year giving me the confidence to go for the longer races.

Anyway 2 weeks tomorrow and this challenge will be complete! The countdown is well and truly on.

No comments: